Sunday, December 4, 2011

New Web Hosting for my Mommies???

I am thinking of moving Mommies Point of View to a new website instead if Blogger and I may purchase the domain name as well. Only I am new to web hosting that I have been searching on the Internet and I found a site and it shows us the 10 best sites out there. My problem is I am new to all of this and most of the sites I have not heard of. So my question is which hosting site do you use? Do you like it? How expensive is it? Is it a shared site? Does it come with a domain name?

If I do move my web hosting can you tell me how this would affect my readers? Would I have to start over from scratch? How does this affect my twitter and facebook accounts?

Another question I have is how hard is it to move everything? Is it very hard? Would it be easier to just pay someone to do it for me? If so can you tell me what I would expect to pay?

If you can help me out with the above questions I would really appreciate it as I am so afraid I am going to do things the wrong way and I will have to rebuild from the ground up and I just do not want to have to do that.

Thanks, Glenda, David and Charlie

3 comments:

Dominique@Dominique's Desk said...

You can redirect your feed from blogger to the new domain and it shouldn't affect your redaership. It won't affect your twitter..you just need to change the link to your blog there.. same as for your facebook fan page.

It's not that difficult to move.. you can DIY yourself..I did that when I move from blogger to wordpress(self hosted) on my own...just make sure you back up everything.

humanecats said...

I think you need to buy your domain name to self host. It is usually an additional charge. I bought my domain name through NameCheap. It is $10 per year.

I use Hostgator and love them. They have 24/7/365 technical service. The technical support is great. They also have 99.9% guaranteed uptime. The cost is based on which plan you pick and whether or not you prepay. If you prepay, you save a lot. I have the hatchling plan which is one domain name, unlimited bandwidth and disk space on a shared server. It starts at $3.96 if you pre pay for 3 years. The price goes up from there. I'm an affiliate for them so if you choose to use them, I'd greatly appreciate it if you signed up through my link. http://secure.hostgator.com/~affiliat/cgi-bin/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=humanecats

I copied this from their support site.
How can I transfer my Blogger site to HostGator hosting?

Since Blogger (blogspot) isn't an actual hosting company, there's no real way to transfer the site from Blogger to your account with us directly.

However, Blogger has a feature which will allow you to migrate your content via a zipped file.

They have a FAQ entry on how to accomplish it here.

Additionally, as of version 2.2, WordPress supports importing directly from your blogger account:

Simply install WordPress from Fantastico in your cPanel.

Then in your WordPress Admin area (domain.com/wp-admin), go to Manage → Import → Blogger and follow the directions to complete the import.

That said, they also will help you as much as possible. This is what else they say on their site.
HostGator Website Transfers

HostGator is committed to making it easy to transfer your site to your new hosting account. We can transfer website files, databases, scripts, and one free domain registration transfer.
What qualifies me for a free transfer?

HostGator provides free transfers for new accounts within 30 days of sign-up, and to newly upgraded accounts.

web hosting said...

I have any word to appreciate this blog Really I,m impressed from this blog.the person who create this post it was a great ppl..thanks for shared this with us.