This morning when I woke up I decided to read a new children's book I was sent to conduct a review on. Before I share my thoughts on it though I would like to let you know I was sent a Digital Copy as well as a code so I can check out the application on my I Pad.
The book is called The Surreal Mother Geek and it is written by Diana Pressnell. I was not sure about the book when I was first asked to conduct a review on it as it is not something we would normally read. But once I sat down and read it I found that I enjoyed it a lot. I loved how each Nursery Rhyme was made of a traditional one and that they tell us which one and what beat to use when we sing it. I also liked that it told us how to act out some of them.
I can not wait to share the book with David and Charlie as they will enjoy it just as much as I will. When I was reading it I kept thing this reminds me of Charlie. I like that as it means he will enjoy it as much as I do.
I have been working with him on the days of the week and different things to get him ready for School and there is a Rhyme in there on the days of the week and it tells what each child is and Charlie was born on a Sunday and what it said about Sundays child fit Charlie to a tee.
At the end of the book it explains a lot of things such as what a geek is and it is in language a child can understand and relate to and I liked that.
I loved all the illustrations and colors they used in the book. I could have just looked at the pictures and not even bothered with the story as it is so well illustrated. At the beginning of the book it tells you to look for something but I got so engrossed in the story I forget to look. So when I read it to David and Charlie I am going to have them look while I read and see if we can find what they where talking about.
If you have not heard of this book I hope you take the time to check it out as it is a wonderful story for children of all ages. I think it should be in a library as well as in schools. Once it is out in print I know I will be purchasing several copies to give as gifts.
(May 14, 2013-Dayton, Ohio) G33k & Co. announced today that the The SurReal Mother Geek kickstarter is officially live. Geek humor merges with well known nursery rhymes to
The SurReal Mother Geek Hatching Golden EggThe SurReal Mother Geek Kickstarter is LIVE!create new memories parents and children alike will cherish. The ambitious campaign will give funding to both digital and print formats of the book and is striving to make the digital version of the book both interactive and accessible to children of different reading levels. All editions are will be full color. In less then a day the campaign has already hit the top 6 choices for kids books in the kickstarter community. Want to donate to the campaign? Visit http://kck.st/19igZzw to donate today!
Diana Pressnell, The SurReal Mother Geek mastermind, saw the need for a bridge between the world of children's products and the vast geek subculture while her own kids were young. Pressnell explains, “When my kids were younger, I wanted to share my interests and hobbies with them. The tools to do so were few and far between.”
Sample: (Sung like Sing a Song of Sixpence)
Sing a song of geekery,
A pocket full of die
Imaginations running wild
There's nothing we won't try..
The book itself will cover many of the aspects of geekdom including pirates vs. ninjas, zombies, apocalypse planning, anime, science fiction, fantasy, Cthulhu, vocabulary, food preferences, electronics, steampunk, gaming, and superheroes.
Want more information visit http://www.surrealmothergeek.comLike us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ surrealmothergeekFollow us on Twitter at:@RealMotherGeekSupport the campaign via social media in just one click http://www. surrealmothergeek.com/share/
About G33k & Co.:
G33k and Company is an umbrella for Kalijor Press, G33k 2.0 and, The SurReal Mother Geek. From games and books to bibs and blankets, G33k and Co is the one stop shop for the heirloom geek of tomorrow. We are a conglomerate of like-minded business partners dedicated to providing geek entertainment for the whole family for today, tomorrow and many generations to come.
Glenda, Charlie and David
1 comment:
I hadn't heard of it but will have to check it out. I like some aspects of what you are saying - child friendly language, rhymes, and the search. I am interested in seeing how they explain "geek." I think the title would throw kids off, too. Look forward to checking it out from my library.
Sherry Compton
Post a Comment