What inspired the story behind Love Spell?
Last year, I attended a National Honor Society induction of a young relative and
there was a boy who was receiving the honor who captured my interest. He wore
a stylish suit and a pair of high black pumps, and he carried himself with an I-
dare-you-to-say-something-about-my-shoes attitude. I got a sense he was very
confident, and he was treated, honestly, as if he was wearing boat shoes like
most of the other boys. His demeanor seemed to allow no criticism, however, I
wondered if there was a long history of pain and confusion behind his bold
presentation. This boy inspired the main character of Love Spell, Chance César,
a teenage boy who experiences gender identity confusion but who presents the
world with an in-your-face sort of attitude to hide his vulnerability.
How did you research and shape Chance as a character?
I spent a great deal of time reading. I read mainly interviews and personal stories
and blog posts of teenage boys and girls who experience gender identity
confusion to understand their actual feelings on this experience. I watched videos
put out by parents of their young children who expressed a belief that they were
really a member of the other sex, and I remembered people in my life who
believed they had been “born in the wrong body”. When the character Chance
began to emerge I identified sub-topics on which I needed to do additional
research. And in creating him, I began by showing his most brazen
characteristics, and gradually invited the reader to see the inner Chance that he
keeps hidden so well from the public. I wanted Chance to be someone a reader
doesn’t know whether to like or despise, at least at first, and eventually think,
“Chance is my hero!”
We're happy to see more YA stories that feature bisexual, transgender, and
gender fluid characters. What would you like to see more of in terms of YA
stories?
I think there is a need for more stories about people who experience gender
identity confusion and about transgender people, especially for the YA reader.
Some readers have requested that I write a story about an asexual teen. I guess
my overall feeling is that all teens should be able to look at the bookshelves in
their town library or local bookstore and find stories about young adult characters
who in some way are like themselves. This will validate every teen’s life
experience. We have a lot of work to do in this area because many libraries
consider books on these subjects to be in some way inappropriate, which is like
saying that the teens who relate to these stories are in some way wrong.
What's next for you?
Right now I am working on a YA LGBTQ fiction about two boys who abuse
alcohol and drugs in high school, called Clean. Each boy is struggling with major
problems on the home front—one with a sibling who has incurred a head injury
and the other with sexual abuse by a guardian. They use alcohol, drugs, and
each other to escape their devastating lives. This book will be released
December 1st, 2015. Prior to that I have a novella called A Hard Day’s Night
releasing September 1st, which is a YA LGBTQ romance between two teen boys
who feel that in order to be gay they must fulfill gay stereotypes. And I’m already
thinking about the next one….
Character Name: Chance César
Character Bio: Chance is a seventeen-year-old high school senior who has long struggled with gender
identity issues. He lives in the conservative town of Fiske, NH, where he is largely isolated by the other
kids and is referred to as “girl-boy.” Chance is admittedly gay, but struggles with his gender identity as
he feels as much like a girl as he does a boy. However, Chance is no shrinking violet.
If you can add a dreamcast pic of the character that would be awesome
Not sure what this is
Describe yourself what is your worst and best quality?
Well, nothing like starting off with a totes doozy of a question! Not a problem for me, girlfriend, cuz my
best quality is that I am what you might call direct. In other words, I call it as I see it. Causes me some
trouble every now and then, but hey… it goes with the territory. Worst characteristic. Well, it’s kinda
personal but in the interest of my book, Love Spell, I’m gonna spill. Ya see, I have a little problem—drives
me nuts, I’ll admit—and it’s that I can’t decide if I see myself as a dude or a lady. See what I’m saying?
And there’s no predicting when I’m going to want to slip into something silky and pastel-colored pretty,
or throw on jeans and a sweatshirt and a ball cap. I also never know when I’m gonna be in the mood to
go shopping or to chop wood in my backyard. Well, maybe not chop wood, but you get what I’m trying
to say.
What is the one thing you wish other people knew about you?
I wish kids at school would realize that, baby, I was born this way. All the “cool kids” think I’m playing a
role, or acting like a drama queen, but I’m not. This is me—I’m flamboyant, tons of fun, vibrant as hell,
emo as I feel like being at any given moment, and lots of other flashy things. But I want to be accepted
and respected, even if I can’t be understood.
What is your biggest secret something no one knows about?
Ssshhh… don’t tell anybody, okay? I’m gay. IN YOUR FACE, girl, this ain’t no secret! Haha! Can you say
common knowledge?
What are you most afraid of?
Getting beat up. I mean, I can defend myself—ever been on the wrong side of a cat fight?—but just
knowing that kids want to take me down, humiliate me, knock me around some, at totes random
moments, messes with my head.
What do you want more than anything?
Hehehe… I want the heart of one Jasper Donahue, or as I call him, Jazzy-boy.
And I’d also like my BFF to get her dream-come-true college acceptance to Juilliard.
What is your relationship status?
Hello! Can you say TAKEN? As in, I am off the market in a big way. Thanks to Jazz and a lot of hard work
on my part.
How would you describe your sense of fashion?
Fantabulous. How’s that?
How much of a rebel are you?
Um, my Glamor Shot photo is in the dictionary next to the word REBEL.
What do you considered to be your greatest achievement?
The way I pull off my Cheez Doodle-colored hair. Not everybody could do it.
What is your idea of happiness?
My purple silky robe, a box of Cheez-Its, a little Lady Gaga music, a champagne flute filled with mango
iced tea, and a tube of Cherry Chapstick.
What is your current state of mind?
To be real, I’m on guard. You know, defensive. Answering questions makes me this way. Ain’t a crime.
What is your most treasured possession?
My Chuck Taylor All Star High Tops- Pride is the name of the color and they look like a glam rainbow.
What is your most marked characteristic?
I’m colorful. Flamboyant. Smexy. It might seem like hard outer shell, but I’ve got a squishy center.
What is it that you, most dislike?
Mean people suck. How’s that for summing it up?
Which living person do you, most despise?
Edwin Darling, AKA Eddie the Appalling. He’s in the book, you know, Love Spell. And he’s a thorn in my
smexy side.
What is your greatest regret?
If you read Love Spell you will get a picture of some of the mistakes I made when trying to catch my
man. But my biggest regret involves gummy bears.
What is the quality you most like in a man?
Of course I’m into a strong handsome manly man, but what I really like is a quiet guy. I say, “still waters
run deep” and that is how you could describe my Jazz.
What is the quality you most like in a woman?
I like honesty and devotion in my girlfriends. And a quirky sense of humor helps.
Who is your favorite hero in fiction?
I’ll go with Katniss cuz she werks it hard.
Which living person do you most admire?
I admire Anderson Cooper, not just because he’s the silver fox, but because he said this:
The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable
with myself, and proud.
If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
I would know who I am definitively in terms of gender. It would make my life much easier… but come to
think of it, not being gender fluid would change the essence of me. So maybe I wouldn’t change a thing.
What is your motto?
I’m a big Ralph Waldo Emerson quote fan.
Hello Clarissa and friends! I am so happy to be here today as I
promote the release of my new YA LGBTQ Contemporary
Romantic Comedy, Love Spell.
Who am I? Every teen wants to know the answer to this question,
which may seem so simple, but for many young people, it is not.
English 4 Honors: Sample Model College Essay
Answer in 500 words: Who am I?
Hmmm….
I will start with my ethnicity and move on to my religion. Then I
will delve into my physical characteristics. Aspects of my
personality—my moods and temperament, passions and
preferences—must also be detailed. And of course, part of who I
am includes my aspirations, so I will create a brief outline of my
life’s goals, as well.
And that should just about cover it.
Right?
Maybe that covers it for you. And for your brother and your BFF,
and it might tell the whole story for the captain of the football
team, even. But maybe one thing is missing—one enormous,
overwhelming, astronomical aspect of identity that many of us
take for granted is missing from the above equation.
Gender identity. Yes, that’s what I said. Gender identity.
Am I a boy? A girl? An eclectic blend of both?
Or am I something else entirely?
Most young people grow up with the inner knowledge that they
are a boy or a girl. It is a matter of such a fundamentally basic fact
that it is often taken for granted. But not for everybody.
"Sometimes your feelings about your gender aren't clear, and you
can’t identify with either sex. Sometimes people question their
gender if their interests and socializing don’t fit with their birth
gender… Some people feel that they're both male and female.
Others have a strong sense of being the opposite gender. Perhaps
they've felt trapped in the wrong body since early childhood,”
suggests Doctor Ady Davis, in her role as a psychosexual therapist
with the North-East Gender Dysphoria Service.
So, what is gender identity, anyway? Gender identity can be
defined as one’s private sense of his/her own gender. And yes,
most people’s gender identity matches with their body’s physical
sex, but there are many who experience a sense that they are
more truly a member of the opposite sex. And there are still
others who experience gender identities that fall somewhere in
between male and female. Because maybe gender is a spectrum
and human beings do not fall strictly at one end or the other.
(Keep in mind that gender identity is not the same as sexual
orientation.)
Children begin to express their gender identity when they are just
toddlers, and those who experience unique gender identities
begin to sense that something about them is different by an early
age. The manner in which their parents respond to these
expressions of gender identity is critical to the mental health and
development of the children.
We, as parents, children, and members of society, live under the
tyranny of gender expectations:
Boys should be strong, stoic, and determined. They should wear
pants and T-shirts, never in pastel shades, and play with toy
trucks. The only dolls they should have are better called action
figures. And it is perfectly fine if they are boisterous and rowdy.
Girls should be soft, sweet, and delicate. They should care a great
deal about what they wear, as personal style is a major aspect of
their self-expression. They should play with dolls and like to bake
cookies. And they should know that they are to be consistently
polite and respectful.
Those who challenge and break out of these traditional gender
roles are often criticized, ostracized, and ridiculed by society at
large; very often this happens to gender-confused children and
teens in school settings. Supportive and accepting families are
critical to vulnerable teens’ self-image. Parents should hold back
from pressuring a child to be more feminine or masculine in order
to fulfill societal expectations, and should never show that they
are ashamed of him or her. Parents need to support their teens’
nontraditional gender expressions by continuing to be
communicative and affectionate with them, and requiring
extended family to follow suit.
According to the National Center for Cultural Competence at
Georgetown University gender identity is not a choice nor is it a
phase. It is proven that prejudice toward LGBTQ issues leads these
rejected teens to higher incidences of depression, drug use,
unprotected sex, and suicide. Accepting family attitudes in regard
to their LGBTQ children show a significantly decreased risk of
these behaviors. Advocating for LGBTQ children is the
compassionate, humane, and effective way to improve their
overall health in adulthood.
“Good thing I’m the kind of guy who chooses to focus on the
positive. I can walk around the house in full female stripper garb,
and nobody bats an eyelash. If I conjure up any reaction at all, it
might be that my mother asks me where I bought my sexy stretch-
lace naughty knickers, as she’s been looking for ones in that color.
And speaking of color choices, neither Mom nor Dad said a single
word when I showed up with my hair dyed the flamboyant shade of
a Cheez Doodle. Not only do I have complete freedom with how I
express my personal style, but when I go all drama-queen mode on
their asses, my parents just look at each other and shrug. In fact, I
try—and I try fucker-nelly hard—but I just can’t shock these
people.
I can barely get them to notice me.”
In Love Spell, Chance César struggles with gender identity issues
from an extremely young age. His earliest memories involve
sneaking into his mother’s closet to sample her perfume and try
on her high-heeled shoes. His grade school friends were primarily
girls and he longed to play dolls with them, but he still forces
himself to act like a boy, fulfilling society’s traditional gender
expectations. As a teen, he is less susceptible to caving in to
pressure to behave as a typical boy would, but he still searches for
a label for his atypical gender identity.
A large part of Chance’s suffering is derived from his family’s
apathetic attitude toward him as a person. They are not
condemning of his gender expressions, but neither are they
supportive. He and what they see as his “peculiar habits” are
tolerated rather than encouraged. Had Chance’s family advocated
for and supported him in his struggle to identify his gender,
Chance would have been relieved of a great deal of his loneliness,
isolation, and pain.
Author Name:
Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I was a middle school social studies teacher, as well as some English and reading and other subjects,
for years until I had children. I loved the kids- they inspired and motivated me. However, my creative
urges were fulfilled by creating vibrant lesson plans. I spent hours and hours on creating lesson plans
that would encourage kids to use higher levels of thinking. I had to do plenty of research on
uncountable subjects so that I could come up with topics and activities that the students could work
with, and eventually come to own.
When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?
There was no actual day that I said to myself, “Mia, you are now an author”, and it certainly didn’t
happen right after I wrote my first few books. But I kept writing books and there comes a time when I
couldn’t deny it any longer… with 14 books to my name (I think), I am an author.
How long did it take to get your first book published?
Dreamspinner Press accepted Beggars and Choosers in the eight weeks they allot themselves, and it
was published within six months or so. It was an incredibly easy process, as Dreamspinner Press is
efficient.
Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?
My other job is stay-at-home mother of four children. I honestly don’t stay at home very much! I have
15, 17, 19, and 21-year-old children. My oldest is a senior at Georgetown University, my second is a
dancer at Purchase College Conservatory of Dance. My third is entering her senior year in high school
and my youngest is entering sophomore year. Keeping up with the kids, my husband, five cats, and
our house keeps me busy!
What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what
would you say?
Love Spell is my most recent release and it is a YA contemporary romantic comedy about a gender
fluid high school senior who is struggling with friendship and falling in love.
Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?
I have published with Dreamspinner Press, Harmony Ink Press, and now I’m with CoolDudes
Publishing’s YA branch, YoungDudes Publishing. CoolDudes/YoungDudes is a wonderful publishing
company that encourages the publication of diverse books. I have also self-published one book, but I
prefer the support of working with a publisher.
What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different
genre?
On September 1st I have a release of a novella from YoungDudes Publishing called A Hard Day’s Night,
a contemporary YA LGBTQ fiction that deals with coming out.
What genre would you place your books into?
I write LGBTQ YA and adult contemporary romantic fiction.
Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?
My favorite character often changes, as I truly love and to some extent identify with all my main
characters. Right now, Chance César from Love Spell is my favorite because he was so much fun to
create. I could allow my mind to go wild as I came up with his character and dialogue. I enjoyed the
plentiful research I did to learn another about gender identity confusion to create Chance’s character.
I also think he is quite important because he is a gender fluid main character.
How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
My first novel was published in 2012. I have been being published for just over three years. My
inspiration to write was largely that I couldn’t find any more books with main characters who were so
totally devoted to the love of their life, the way I like a main character to be in a romance. Another
inspiration was Edward Cullen in Twilight by Stephenie Meyers. I couldn’t get enough of how he loved
Bella. Sometimes to get exactly what you are looking for you have to create your own and so I did.
Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
When one of my books first comes out I wait for reviews, and you had better believe that I read every
one. Sometimes I get kind of down about a very critical review and I wish that they would all be
glowing. However, I do learn from all reviews. Once another book is in the works, though, I become to
busy too busy to study each review as carefully, so I check them now and then.
Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
Usually the book comes first, and then the title. Every once in a while I am certain that I know what a
book will be titled and in a sense, the title gives breath to the idea.
Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables
type of "The moral of this story is..")
I don’t really try to hide my messages. They are there, and they are in no way camouflaged.
Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?
I like to hold a book and read it especially if it is long, so I can know where I am and so I can easily look
back to check for a piece of information I missed. But in the interest of space for storage, I appreciate
my Kindle.
What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
I love Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and I read it every several years. I just adore the way Mr.
Rochester is devoted to Jane.
Your favorite food is?
Cookies- but only homemade. I also like cake but only if it has a great, rich, sweet frosting.
Your favorite singer/group is?
I love Queen. Freddie Mercury is my all-time favorite vocalist.
Your favorite color is?
green
Once again thank you for the interview.
Thank you for interviewing me! The questions were great! You made me think!
Karen Swart - Portals to new worlds
Not Broken Just Bent ebook and Love Spell Charm made by Bewitching Book Swag a Rafflecopter giveaway Link to entry form http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/ba112ffc1091
Love Spell
Mia Kerick
Genre: YA LGBTQ
Contemporary Romantic Comedy
Publisher: CoolDudes Publishing
Date of Publication: June 1, 2015
ISBN: 978-1511831857
Number of pages: 123
Word Count: 44,300
Cover Artist: Louis C Harris
Strutting his stuff on the catwalk in black patent leather pumps and a snug orange tuxedo
as this year’s Miss (ter) Harvest Moon feels so very right to Chance César, and yet he knows
As far back as he can remember, Chance has been “caught between genders.” (It’s quite a
touchy subject; so don’t ask him about it.) However, he does not question his sexual
orientation. Chance has no doubt about his gayness—he is very much out of the closet at his
rural New Hampshire high school, where the other students avoid the kid they refer to as
But at the local Harvest Moon Festival, when Chance, the Pumpkin Pageant Queen, meets
Jasper Donahue, the Pumpkin Carving King, sparks fly. So Chance sets out, with the help of
his BFF, Emily, to make “Jazz” Donahue his man.
An article in an online women’s magazine, Ten Scientifically Proven Ways to Make a Man
Fall in Love with You (and a bonus love spell thrown in for good measure), becomes the
basis of their strategy to capture Jazz’s heart.
Quirky, comical, definitely flamboyant, and with an inner core of poignancy, Love Spell
celebrates the diversity of a gender-fluid teen.
Book Trailer: https://youtu.be/Lx7mVc8846E
Available at Amazon
Not to say that I kept my phone basically right beneath my chin for the next four days,
but I kept my phone basically right beneath my chin for the next four days. Yes, I was oh-so-
pathetically waiting for his call, which I am aware fully explains the need for the phrase “get a
life.” But Jazz hadn’t been at school on the Thursday or Friday after he had called and cancelled
our playdate, and now it’s Sunday night, and I still haven’t heard from him. And although I’m
frustrated that all of my elaborate plans to make him fall head over heels in love with moi have
apparently tanked, I’m also growing genuinely concerned.
That’s when my cell phone, which I placed on my chest before I lay down on my now
“love-spell-pink” wrapped mattress, starts singing Express Yourself.
“Yo.” I don’t check the number. It’s Emmy—who else would it be?
“Hi, Chance.” The deep voice is so not Emmy’s.
Yaaassss!!! This is what ninety-nine percent of my insides shout. One percent says
quietly, “It’s about frigging time you called, asshole.”
But my voice is calm. “Jasper,” I say blandly. In my opinion, he hasn’t earned the right
“Um, sorry, no. It’s Jazz.”
I try not to roll my eyes even though I know he won’t see, but it’s an epic fail.
“I’m sorry I haven’t been in touch for a couple days. My mom’s been real sick. I was
lookin’ after her, gettin’ her to the doctor, goin’ to the pharmacy, bringing JoJo back and forth to
“Mom caught JoJo’s strep throat and had to go to the ER because she couldn’t even
swallow.” He stops talking for a second and then clears his voice. “Alls she could do was spit
into a rag whenever she needed to swallow.”
Well, that’s definitely TMI, but I get the fucker-nelly revolting picture. “I’m sorry.”
“Not your fault, dude.”
And then there’s silence.
“Gonna take JoJo to the library after school tomorrow. But first I gotta stop by the cable
company and pay up or we’re gonna lose our TV and internet at home. They already warned us
“Want me to pick up Yolo at school and take her to the library?” I’m so freaking pissed
off at him. Why am I offering to save his ass again?
“That’s cool of you to offer, but there’s a bus she can take to the library from her school.
Could ya be waiting for her at the library, in case I get held up?”
“Of course.” I’m a Class A sucker.
“You’re such a cool pal.” Ugh—so not what I’m going for.
“I’m not gonna be at lunch tomorrow seein’ as I’ll probably be collecting my makeup
work. So, I’ll see ya at the library. ‘Kay?”
I don’t say kkkk cuz it’s not even slightly cool. “Sure. The libes after school, it is.”
“Thank you, bro,” Jazz offers.
One more silence, and then I say, “Later.”
Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—all named after saints—and
five nonpedigreed cats—all named after the next best thing to saints, Boston Red
Sox players. Her husband of twenty-two years has been told by many that he has
the patience of Job, but don’t ask Mia about that, as it is a sensitive subject.
Mia focuses her stories on the emotional growth of troubled young people and their
relationships, and she believes that physical intimacy has a place in a love story,
but not until it is firmly established as a love story. As a teen, Mia filled spiral-
bound notebooks with romantic tales of tortured heroes (most of whom happened
to strongly resemble lead vocalists of 1980s big-hair bands) and stuffed them under
her mattress for safekeeping. She is thankful to Dreamspinner Press, Harmony Ink
Press, CoolDudes Publishing, and CreateSpace for providing her with alternate
Mia is a social liberal and cheers for each and every victory made in the name of
human rights, especially marital equality. Her only major regret: never having
taken typing or computer class in school, destining her to a life consumed with
two-fingered pecking and constant prayer to the Gods of Technology.
Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/mia.kerick
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6474518.Mia.Kerick
http://www.amazon.com/Mia-Kerick/e/B009KSTG9E/
The Red Sheet ebook and Love Spell Charm made by Bewitching Book Swag
Intervention ebook and Love Spell Charm made by Bewitching Book Swag
Not Broken Just Bent ebook and Love Spell Charm made by Bewitching Book
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/ba112ffc1091
1. Tell us a little bit about your main characters.
The main character in Love Spell by Mia Kerick is Chance César, a 17-year-old boy,
who struggles with gender identity confusion. He identifies closely with both girls
and boys. Chance is an extremely colorful character—he is direct, a bit obsessive,
eclectic, snarky, and a bit over-the-top with regard to his personal style. (You will
have a blast getting to know him!) He is also gay and falls for a boy who is very
different from him. Jasper (Jazz) Donahue, also a 17-year-old senior, but is quiet
and calm, highly challenged by school. He is a steady and dependable caretaker of
his younger sister, JoJo. (You might just fall for him too!) Emily Benson is Chance’s
best friend. She is the perfect match for Chance as she is vibrant and creative and
marches to the beat of her own drummer.
2. Describe your ideal writing spot.
I write quite often in m yBoston Red Sox-themed family room, which, in my
opinion is the perfect place for writing. There is incredible inspiration on the walls,
and I get to stare at a full-wall mural of the Green Monster when I need to step
back and get some perspective. And it is not too far from the kitchen where I can
make a cup of tea or coffee on those very late writing nights when my characters
won’t let me sleep.
3. Who designed the covers for your book and what was that process like for you
as the author?
I have had different cover artists for my different books, but for Love Spell the
cover artist was Louis C Harris. I love working with Louis because I can be myself
with him. I start out by telling him all the ideas I currently have for the cover and I
even show him the model who I imagine him resembling my main character. Then
Louis works on it for a while and presents me with a draft. I can offer any
suggestions I want to improve the cover, and Louis adds and changes per my
requests, as many times as necessary, until it is perfect. And I end up with is a
cover that is better than what I dreamed of. Don’t you think the cover of Love Spell
is adorbs?
4. How do you keep busy when you're not writing?
I love to watch my four kids do their activities—tennis, dance, basketball, track,
soccer etc. I enjoy attending concerts at Meadowbrook, the local outdoor venue
for live music, and I love to read. But the bulk of my “hobby” time is spent
researching, writing, and promoting my novels.
5. Which do you prefer: hard/paperbacks or ebooks?
I like to hold a paperback book and read it especially if it is long, so I can know
where I am and so I can easily look back to check for a piece of information I
missed. But in the interest of space for storage, I appreciate my Kindle.
6. What book are you reading now?
I have two books on my TBR list, but I have been so busy with writing, promoting
and editing an upcoming release that I have not had a lot of time to read. One of
the books is Catnip by J.S. Frankel and Almost Perfect, by Brian catcher, both
LGBTQ YA novels.
Thank you!
Sheri
Shut Up & Read
http://shutupandreadgroup.blogspot.com/
Glenda, Charlie and David Cates
No comments:
Post a Comment